Monday, December 16, 2013

Old School Christmas



I read a story on a Facebook friends' page today about receiving a very unexpected package from a childhood friend with whom he wasn't really in contact anymore, except the rare interaction on FB.  His friend sent him a package of favorite childhood treats that her mother used to make and deliver to his family.  Perhaps it is just getting older, or perhaps things are changing really fast, but for the last few years there seems to have been a change in the world that is catching everyone off guard, particularly at Christmas.  From conversations with many friends, acquaintances, and clients, I have found that lots of people are feeling it too.  Yesterday we cut down the tree, and last night it was decorated.  For the last two years, I have been on the tinsel train.  There is something very nostalgic and beautiful about tinsel shimmering against the white lights and ornaments that have been collected over many years.  Some of the red balls are from my parents' classic tree that was the same for fifty years.  Some are ornaments that date back to the twenties.  We always had tinsel on the tree when I was growing up and I wasn't really a fan, but now it takes me back to some really nice times.  The term "the true meaning of Christmas" seems to have become somewhat cliche. For me the true meaning of Christmas is found in stories like the one I read on FB today and in taking a step back from the world and relishing the memories and glimpses of Chrismases past.  So while I am a retailer, I suggest and hope we can all take a step back and not worry too much about buying gifts, but enjoy the season and friends and family and maybe even surprise an old friend!  Merry Christmas.